Seventeen Companies and Individuals Recognized for their Commitment to Sustainable Business
November 6, 2013 (Toronto, ON) — At the third annual ECR Awards’ sold-out event, hosted by BNN’s Howard Green, seventeen individuals and teams were named winners for their work in sustainability and ethical business practices. Attendees celebrated the work of the many Canadian business leaders dedicated to innovation and leadership in corporate social responsibility. Winners ranged from teams’ committed to managing risk in mining facilities, to greening Canadian homes, to an airplane manufacturer with a cradle-to-grave design philosophy, and many more.
The 2013 Outstanding Achievement Award was presented to Gord Lambert, Executive Advisor Sustainability and Innovation, Suncor. Gord has an impressive 30-year career, demonstrating leadership and innovation in the resource sector. His work driving collaboration and the sharing of research and technology, has led to an unprecedented improvement and advancement of sustainability in the oil sands.
Professionals from small, medium and large corporations across a range of industries were eligible to apply. A panel of experts conducted judging, with selection criteria based on leadership and innovation, performance and results, and process.
The Winners of the 2013 ECR Awards are:
- Small Business – Any Sector
• Co- Founders, Mario Fiorucci and Tara Longo with team David Meli, Jonathan Abrahams, Paul Bradshaw, Candice Zaina, Maxine Knight, and Ryan Rudnickas, The Healthy Butcher
• President, Christopher Curtis, Living Wall Concepts
- Technology, Information Technology and Telecommunications
• Environmental Engineer, Isabellee Doucet, IBM Bromont Manufacturing Plant
• President and CEO, Dan Seto, Circuit Meter Inc.
- Retail, Packaged Goods
• Senior National Manager, Quality and Sustainability, Susan D’Souza, Staples Advantage Canada
• CSR Manager, Kim Wilson, and CSR Advisor Jackie Leonard-Janes, Atlantic Lottery
• Vice-President, Hélène V. Gagnon with team Bruce Parry, Kahina Oudjehani, Fassi Kafyeke, François Caza, and Jean Séguin, Bombardier Aerospace.
• President and General Manager, Richard Kouwenhoven, Hemlock Printers Ltd.
• Manager of Corporate Communications, Karen Shum, Catalyst Paper
- Professional Services and Consultants
• Vice-President CSR, Kaz Flinn and team Gabriela Polanco-Sorto, Karen Mulchinock, Deborah Clark, and Tania Travierso, Scotiabank
• Director of Corporate Responsibility, James Temple, PwC Canada
- Building, Design and Development (tie)
• Director of Sustainability, Darryl Neate and team Andrew McAllan and Lachlan MacQuarrie, Oxford Properties
• Director of Research, Kathy Wardle, Perkins+Will
• President and CEO, Mazyar Mortazavi and team Ali Saneinejad, Stephen Hutchinson, Brandon Donnelly, Richelle Sibolboro, Emma Point, Jake Garrett, and Brian Rice, TAS Design Build
- Food and Agriculture
• CEO, John Slack, Boreal Agrominerals Inc.
- Resource Sectors: Oil, Gas, Forestry and Mining
• Stratos and The Mining Association of Canada—President, Stephanie Meyer and team George Greene, Michael van Aanhout, Jane Porter and Vicky Weekes, Stratos. President, Pierre Gratton, and team Ben Chalmers and Tara Shea, The Mining Association of Canada.
Photos and full descriptions of the winners’ achievements are detailed in the attached winners list and online at www.ecrawards.ca.
About the ECR Awards: The Excellence in Corporate Responsibility Awards program was created to honour and celebrate corporate Canadians for outstanding work and dedication towards creating sustainable and ethical practices within the business framework. It was developed by industry experts with deep knowledge of corporate responsibility within Canada. Collaborators include Green Living Enterprises, CIRAIG/Quantis, Sustainalytics, The Natural Step Canada, The Pembina Institute, Corporate Knights, SustainAbility and author Bob Willard. The 2013 judges were Heather Lang, Director, North American Research for Sustainalytics; Lorraine Smith, Director of SustainAbility; Chad Park, Executive Director and a founding member of The Natural Step Canada and Eli Angen, Senior Analyst, Corporate Consulting at The Pembina Institute.
For information about entering the 2014 ECR Awards, please contact Brenda Halkiw at 416-360-0044 x612 / email@example.com.